How Music Affects Community

Photo courtesty Wes Hicks via Unsplash

While living on a campus filled with many different people, it is difficult to feel connected to everyone. There are many things that this school does to make sure this community is a true community. One thing that we do that is special is we sing, like at Outdoor Chapel. We come together and share the joy of music. Music is a way to turn a bad day into a good one. There are articles written stating how music and happiness are linked like from SCL Health, writing that music is connected to our brains in many aspects.  For instance, “When a subject listens to music that gives them the chills, it triggers a release of dopamine to the brain.” There are also other perspectives about music right here on this campus. 

Holderness Music Director Mr. Cosby was able to share his thoughts and ideas on music. To Mr. Cosby, music has always been his dream. The music he listened to growing up had an impact on his decisions with the melodies of classic rock. He grew up listening to tunes like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, the Beatles, and especially Jackson 5. Music has this magical side to it where it can bring you back in time, to a certain memory. Mr. Cosby’s magical songs that send him back to his childhood are “Abc ” by the Jackson 5 and “Hey Jude” by the Beatles. 

Between Mr. Cosby and music, there is a complete connection; it expresses spirituality. Although this spirituality isn’t related to religion, it’s one associated with connecting to one’s higher self, a “sense of otherness” as Mr. Cosby explains it. This sense of otherness brings people into “the zone,” a zone where one cannot break focus. People get “in the zone” when doing something they love. Music is one of those things that can make a quick switch into this zone. 

Emotion plays an important role when it comes to music. People’s preferences in music can affect mood and behavior. Although music with explicit language keeps Mr. Cosby uneasy, he said how he is open to hearing new things but when the language is inappropriate he loses respect. Especially on the campus with children and families around, knowing your surroundings is important.

Sometimes people don’t know what they are saying to hurt another even in the lyrics they are singing, this can happen on campus as well. This is a way certain people might feel disconnected from the community because they don’t feel welcome, even through music.  Music has this impact on people and it is important to spread the good things it has to share and learn from the mistakes of the past.