Mountain Day Brought Back to Life Yet Again

Mountain Day at Holderness is a day where students and faculty don’t have classes and instead spend the day outside in nature. September 23 was the second Mountain Day since the tradition was brought back to life last year. Everybody enjoyed their time outside getting to know one another and participating in numerous activities. These activities included hikes of the Presidential Range, canoeing on the Connecticut and Saco Rivers, mountain biking in North Conway, exploring the old abandoned village of Livermore, and even River Repose — a new option where napping is encouraged! 

To start the day, students were welcomed into the Chapel of the Transfiguration in Bretton Woods by Reverend Hill and alumna Nikki Kimball ‘89. Nikki spoke about the importance of mental health and how it has impacted her life. She discussed her many victories and struggles, namely her multi-year battle with depression. The Holderness community was deeply intrigued and moved by her talk, and there were more than a few tears. After the chapel, Nikki went on to climb Mount Eisenhower with Mr. Peck, his dogs, and a very lucky group of students. 

Half of the school went out in the first wave, leaving at 8:30 for chapel and the rest of the students left at 9:30. In a survey, most of the students and teachers agree; chapel should either be the night before or after to give more time for activities in the day. Also, a few groups got back much later than expected, just in time for evening study hall at 8:00. Students did have a lot of fun though, many rating their enjoyment at a 10 out of 10.

The most common activity while answering the survey was “hard hike,” nonetheless, when asked what they would change about Mountain Day, 1 in 10 students who took the survey suggested more River Repose groups and other alternatives to hiking. 

Mountain Day turned out to be another great success and the community had an amazing time. Mountain Day helps reinforce the core values of Holderness. Mr. Thatcher ‘08 thought it was important for students to learn these values, so that’s why Mountain Day was originally revived last year and the tradition will be carried on through the years to come.