Holderness Honors Day of Silence

The Day of Silence is a day when people choose to be silent in solidarity with the silence of closeted LGBTQ+ students who do not feel comfortable expressing themselves. This year the Day of Silence was held on April 15th at Holderness School. The school was fortunate enough to have R.C. Whitehouse ’00 speak in chapel about his own experiences, not only about his coming out but also about his faith and journey in life.

The Day of Silence was done slightly differently this year. At sitdown lunch, there were completely silent tables where students could sit.  Each table also had a small magazine made by GLSEN (Gay Lesbain Straight Education Network) with poems and stories about the Day of Silence. While several students chose to remain silent all day, many more showed their support by wearing red to show that they are allies of the LGBTQ+ community. To end the day, affinity groups for LGBTQ+ students and straight allies were held so that students could break the silence and talk about their own experiences at Holderness and in life in general.

Speaking as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I have never felt more supported by the school then I have this year. The effort and planning that was put into making sure that the Day of Silence went smoothly and was accessible to anyone who wanted to show support made me more welcome on campus than ever before. I hope that the positive work the Alliance and the school has done this year will continue in the years to come.