What if a Student is Prescribed Medicinal Marijuana?

As medicine advances, an increasingly popular form of treatment is medical marijuana. California was the first state in America to legalize medicinal marijuana back in 1996. Now California is joined by 32 others states that have since legalized the drug for medicinal reasons. In New Hampshire, this medication can be prescribed to treat conditions like Crohn’s, cancer, epilepsy, a traumatic brain injury, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, PTSD, or multiple sclerosis.

While sitting in Senior Thesis class, I was listening to a fellow student discuss his senior thesis topic about medical marijuana, and I began to think about what Holderness would do to assist a student or faculty member who is a medical marijuana patient. I asked Mrs. Pfenninger, Assistant Head of School, if Holderness has any sort of policy regarding this. She said, “To my knowledge, there is no policy”, but noted that if the occasion arose, then they would come up with a policy as a response.

There are many things that would have to be considered while coming up with a plan of how to deal with such a situation. If even allowed, the school would have to do what they could to avoid recreational use of the prescription. A solution to this would be to have the nurses hold on to it as they do with other student prescriptions. Another problem would be dealing with the different possible forms of consuming the drug.  The school would have to work with the student’s family and doctor to figure out which form would best suit the patient’s need while ensuring a continued safe place for everyone at school.

Although there’s currently no need for the school to consider such a situation, it will be interesting to see if a day arises when a policy is needed.