The Picador

What It’s Like Having Anxiety

My English teacher asked me recently to try to explain my anxiety to her, what is challenging, and what works well for me. My answer at the time was something along the lines of,  “I don’t know… it doesn’t really make sense to me either.” As I think back on that moment, I realize that if I internalize my anxiety and view it as a weakness, my teachers and friends can’t help me work through it.

Last spring on Artward Bound, I recited a poem during our first performance night that I had written. The poem was deeply personal to me, and I was really nervous before my group got up on stage. I believe the only thing that got me through my two minutes at the microphone was my group standing behind me. I’m not saying it was easy, but their hands on my shoulders kept me grounded and didn’t allow my anxiety to take over. When I was finished, my group bowed and I ran off the stage, out of the auditorium, and into the bathroom, where I threw up my dinner. One of the visiting artists came to join me and told me it was okay to struggle because, in the end, I had done it. Ultimately, I had recited my poem in front of everyone.

Anxiety isn’t something I can ever get rid of. Some days, I can give a presentation in Ecological Case Studies with excitement with little to no anxiety, and some days, simply reading an essay aloud in History or English makes me physically sick. Sometimes my stomach churns with absolutely no trigger and I have to leave class, get a drink of water, and gather myself.

Anxiety is a part of my life, but I can work through it. I refuse to let it define me. There will always be a way for me to work around it. Some things are harder for me to manage than others, but with effort and a little support from my friends and teachers, my anxiety will play a minimal role in my life.

1 Comment

One Response to “What It’s Like Having Anxiety”

1. Dr Larry Jamieson on November 6th, 2018 6:18 am

Good for you. Never define yourself according to your anxiety. It feels debilitating at times, but the more confident you become, and the less worried you are about what others think about you, the lower your panic will be. Try not to be anxious about being anxious. You are not alone as so many people experience the same issues. Good luck.

We welcome your comments -- supportive, critical or otherwise. We do not censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, abusive content, vulgarity, or personal attacks.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

On Campus

A Solution to Theft: Holderness Scooter Share Program

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

Opinions

In Defense of the JV Athlete

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

Outside the Bubble

Kavanaugh: What His Appointment Means for the US

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

On Campus

Mountain Day, Outing Club, and Their History

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

On Campus

Parents’ Weekend on Campus: An International Student’s Perspective

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

Outside the Bubble

Responsible Free Speech and The Development of the Thinking Person

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

On Campus

Bear With Me: Bears Roam Holderness School Campus

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

Opinions

Senior Roast: Evolution in the Right Direction?

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

On Campus

Picador Staff Sets Goals for 2018-19

• What It’s Like Having Anxiety

Personalities

Meet The New Teachers