The student news site of Holderness School

Keeping up with Climate Change

January 17, 2018

As Donald Trump makes headlines, the more pressing and less comical world problem of climate change has fallen under the radar. Climate change (also referred to as global warming) is becoming a bigger problem that many people don’t have a lot of information about. Climate change is defined as a change in climate patterns attributed to excess carbon dioxide, caused by the burning of fossil fuels. There are many effects of climate change, some of which include sea level rise, glaciers shrinking, ice on frozen lakes and rivers breaking earlier, and plant and animals changing patterns of life. The effect on the earth is becoming more and more prominent.

When surveyed, the consensus of the Holderness School community was that climate change is a worldwide issue that needs to be addressed. In fact, many people felt undereducated about it. In July of 2017, an iceberg the size of Delaware broke off of Antarctica. Scientists are observing similar events that are contributing to drastic sea level rises, and according to survey results, very few people, both faculty and students, know about these issues. One of the reasons that few people are educated on climate change is misconceptions spread in the media. The biggest media-spread climate change misconception is the Pacific Garbage Patch. The Pacific Garbage Patch is portrayed in the media as a huge pile of trash in the middle of the ocean that is thick enough for a person to walk on. In reality, it’s completely comprised of microplastics. There are many other things that are either misrepresented or entirely made up, and this makes it extremely hard for people understand climate change.

Many members of the Holderness School community believed that the school can and should work to do more for the environment. One suggestion was: “Consider how to address food waste (sit-down dinners, especially), use of plastic bags during Walmart runs, and use of plastic bags (within plastic bags) for our trash collecting and disposal. We also should compost more consistently.” This is exactly where Holderness School needs to go in terms of stunting climate change.