Picador Staff Struggles as Traffic Overload Continues to Crash Website

In his email to the editors back in August, Mr. Herring announced his plans to initiate “a shift that could elevate The Picador” for the year 2016-17, a switch to an online platform. The reasoning behind this decision was simple: the digital platform would allow for “a greater interaction” between readers and editors and an “increase in circulation beyond the lunch table.” He was right — the strategic decision did elevate The Picador, generating widespread attention and a surge in circulation. Except one thing, he grossly underestimated the sheer magnitude of viewership we would receive, leading to major problems that have been haunting The Picador Crew for months, namely traffic overload.

On September 16th, when The Picador released its first online issue, it received 128K+ views and 81 comments, a success that pleasantly shocked the entire staff. In the following months, however, the attention The Picador received, in my own words, “got kind of out of hand.” Every time The Picador published a new issue, it would break the record set by the previous issue, seeing remarkable exponential increase in viewership and eventually leading to website crash due to high traffic. When the website was down for the first time, both Mr.Herring and I received 40+ complaint emails from students. Throughout the year, The Picador staff  continued to hold impromptu meetings with the Technology Office to discuss different ways to accommodate the unexpected, and frankly, quite excessive viewership we had been receiving but saw little success.

In an exclusive interview, Mr. Herring lamented, “I knew Holderness students were interested in current events and students’ opinions about various political and social issues, but I didn’t know it was going to be THIS much. In complete honesty, I made a mistake, I underestimated just how socially conscious Holderness students are!” He added, “Moderating the comments section in the articles is quite possibly the biggest challenge I have ever faced in my career. Students are so passionate about social issues! The discussions are far too aggressive!”

A senior boy in Woodward, when asked why he comments so much on everyone’s article, stated, “You see, our, and by our I mean, the boys in Woodward, favorite pastime is actually to read The Picador and discuss current events, contrary to popular belief. Every night, we would come back from study hall, and just talk about how well-written some articles were and share our own perspectives on the issues!”

With teary eyes, one editor, who chose not to reveal his/her name, complained, “Every time I make a little grammar mistake in my article, I would get snapchats from, like, 5 different people gently mocking me for my mistake. Now I have to read over my article at least 7 times to make sure my article is flawless.”