The student news site of Holderness School

The Picador

Procrastination Station: Why It’s Better to Procrastinate

Erica Ashby '18, Editor

Our alarms ring in the early morning and a list of daily tasks grows whether we like it or not: finish pantry before study hall, write a 1000 word paper by block three, tune skis, write a friend a birthday card, plan a presentation for assembly, write a friend a birthday card… and so on. For some of us pre-crastinationators it is in our blood to cross off all these task as fast as we can. On the other hand for the 88% of those who are procrastinations just thinking about tasks and goals makes our head hurt.

It is only human to procrastinate as 80%of college students say they are chronic procrastinators. In fact the ancient Greeks and Romans took pride in procrastination. They would sit around on stones thinking and never actually doing task until they had to or they wanted to. But as our world became more complex deadlines and necessary tasks arose and procrastinators were thought to be cursed. Then rose the psychology of pre-crastintion. Abby Wiseman, a pre-crastinationator, says that she feels anxious and stressed when she is not completing a task. The biggest ideological shift toward punctuality in America came after John F. Kennedy made a deadline for putting a man on the moon. However, It turns out that we are heading back to our ancient roots in 2017, as studies and articles that state that procrastination has benefits floods the internet and newspapers.

There are two types of procrastination: active and passive. Active procrastination is the putting off of one activity to do another yet still completing all necessary tasks. On the other hand passive procrastination indecisions to act and failing to complete tasks on time. It turns out that active procrastination is said to lead to greater improvements in results, creativity, and human development than pre-crastination. First of all while procrastinating people tend to think of ideas therefore leading to a more thought threw ending action. For example if you have a week to write a paper and you decide to write it the first day it is assigned you probably only spend tops 30 minutes about what you’re going to write rather than 5 days if you were a procrastinator. Bridget Pope ’18, an extreme procrastinator,  explained, “when I am procrastinating I think about how to plan out my essays, which is opposite of the stereotype for a procrastinator because I am planning things in my head.” Also people that procrastinate make better decisions because they have contemplated longer. Secondly, a study done by the University of Wisconsin states that procrastinators are more creative. Lastly humans obviously procrastinate because they don’t want to do something or would rather do something else! Bridget says, “because of my procrastination I have been able to doodle, which I enjoy more than my homework!”

So tomorrow when your alarm once again goes off and you prepare for your daily routine, understand that you only have so much time so waste it wisely. As teens, we are constantly told what to do at what time, especially at Holderness. Learn the system of time, yet don’t live in it.